[Pw_forum] Computer Specification for running QE

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed Nov 8 13:50:49 CET 2017

Dear Krishnendu,

a linux workstation is ideal - below is a typical setup, but
you could easily do without SSD, much less hard drive space, and
with memory say of 16GB. Any recent Intel with 8 to 16 cores is good.

If you need to choose, go for the sweet spot of price on intel cpus
(look at linpack benchmarks to get a resonable proxy for performance),
and buy more than 16GB of RAM.

		nicola

1 x 8 Core Intel i7-7820X 3.6GHz Processor DALCO Special Silent Water
Cooling System 64GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
1 x 240GB SATAIII Intel Enterprise SSD
2 x 2TB SATAIII Harddisk Drive 7200rpm (Raid-1) 4-Port SATAIII
Raid-Controller
nVidia GT730 2GB Graphics Controller (1xHDMI/1xDVI)
DVD-+R/RW Dual-Layer Drive
1 x Intel Gigabit-Ethernet Controller onboard Soundcard
USB 3.1 & 3.0 & USB 2.0 US-Keyboard (low key) & Mouse