[Pw_forum] A question about tot_charge flag with DFT+U calculations

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Jan 13 09:04:17 CET 2017

Dear Kosuke Nakano,
    the total charge option acts on deciding the number of states used
and how to fix the fermi energy/chemical potential.
    the occupation matrix return the projection of the occupied manifold
(determined by the previous recipe) on the localized states so it should
be what one expects it to be.
    so yes it looks like it's Ni ~ +2 (d8) but with partial occupation
of the eg orbitals and NOT spin polarized... Is this what you
expect/desire ?.
Did you suggest a starting magnetization to see it the system does not
prefer being d5_up d3_dw ?

stefano