[Pw_forum] About output of PDOS calculations of CeO2

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Wed Feb 22 12:32:46 CET 2017

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 12:18:31 PM CET Phanikumar Pentyala wrote:
> My doubt was, cerium electronic structure have only single or double
> electron in *f* shell, so can I choose third or fourth line of PDOS output
> file or last line (first line belongs to LDOS)?

Dear Phanikumar,
the pseudopotential you are using for Cerium may or may not have the f
electron in valence.

If the electron is in valence you will have a corresponding file after the
projwfc calculation. But your system will probably be metallica and have all
sort of problems, unless you use DFT+U and know what you are doing.

If it is in the core, you won't be able to compute its pdos (which anyway, is
a delta function at the atomic state energy). Also your valence bands will
miss some feature and probably be not completely correct.
On the other hand, you will be able to get the calculation working without too
much fiddling.

hth

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto