[Pw_forum] GGA+U

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Mon Feb 13 10:29:28 CET 2017

Dear F. Marsusi

> Is this what one expected always from +U calculations,

As I told you before nothing can be considered as "expected" when you apply the U correction to a strongly hybridized sp2 system such as a pi-
conjugated molecule or graphene. In my experience this is not a good idea, because you obtain, for example, a higher ionization energy (and this is
right when you correct LDA/GGA delocalization errors, and in agreement with a correction with exact exchange like B3LYP or HSE) but also a lower
electron affinity (and this is wrong, and the opposite behavior of a correction with exact exchange). So you are walking in "terra incognita" where
nothing can be given for granted.
HTH
Giuseppe