[Pw_forum] intrinsic dipole of (large, anisotropic) molecule

Marton vormar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 05:23:26 CEST 2017

Hi Chris,

If you want to compute the ground state dipole moment of a molecule then
there is no need to apply any electric field. Set

assume_isolated = 'mp'

in the system namelist, which will then give you the dipole moment of the
molecule at the end of the scf, supposing the molecule is isolated. Note
that the dipole moment computed this way converges quite slowly with
respect to the size of the box. I know that your attached input is not
fully converged but in this case, the size of the box is crucial and your
box size is certainly not enough to get any realistic number. I'm actually
quite sure that your finite field calculations are not giving reasonable
numbers because there is basically no vacuum region: in the finite field
approach the region where the sawtooth potential changes sign should be in
the "vacuum" with little or no density:

http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_PW.html#idm140629872333184

Also, if you are interested in computing the polarizability using DFPT you
won't need to do 3N perturbations. Just ask QE to compute the
high-frequency dielectric constant (epsil=.true. and trans=.false. in the
ph.x input). There will only be three perturbations corresponding to the
three cartesian components of the external field. If you use the gamma
k-point to sample the BZ zone then QE will extract the molecular
polarizability from the dielectric constant using the Clausius-Mossotti
formula and will report it in the output. Again, you would have to converge
the result with the cell size.

HTH,
Marton Voros

--