[Pw_forum] Negative freuqencies for extrapolating points

Francesco Pelizza francesco.pelizza at strath.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 16:16:12 CEST 2016

In my experience, increasing also the convergence for forces and total
energy of the scf cycle you perform before the neb.x run, helps a lot to
clean negative frequencies.

Then, all other cutoffs and settings that increase amount of memory and
cpu time, can helps, sometimes significantly, sometimes their not enough.

Before the phonon, a proper lattice relaxation with higher parameters
than default value for forces, total energy and eventually even electron
convergence (as also wavefunction, charge density, etc..), helps much
more to bring your model to the highest converged condition than just
increasing parameters thresholds on phonon that can make the phonon a
jurassic waiting.

These are the reflections  helped me more

Francesco

Strathclyde