[Pw_forum] how to obtain exchange energy and correlation energy separately?

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 15:51:09 CEST 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Uri Argaman <argamanu at post.bgu.ac.il>
wrote:

I wish to separate the "xc contribution" at the scf.out file into "exchange
> contribution" and "correlation contribution". What are you recommend?
> 1. to use the subroutine exxenergy2 from exx.f90 and substract the results
> from the "xc contribution"?

exxenergy2 compute "the Hartree-Fock exchange", not "the exchange
contribution" in "the exchange-correlation energy". Is this what you want?

2. to do something similar to what is written in v_of_rho.f90 for each of
> the contributions?

3. maybe something smarter?

it is not easy to disentangle the two contributions because they are
intertwined and you have to go quite deep into the code compute them
separately. The simplest way is I think to set to zero the correlation
terms (variables icorr, igcc in Modules/funct.f90) and recompute the energy
using v_of_rho

> I found similar question in the forum from 2014 with the answer that I
> have to modify the code.

this is still valid (and will always be, I think)

Paolo

thanks in advance,

> Uri Argaman
> Materials engineering department
> Ben-Gurion university
> Israel

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222