[Pw_forum] regarding to calculate oxidation state

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Thu Oct 1 11:12:36 CEST 2015

Dear Rajkamal.A.
"Oxidation state" is a chemical concept, that is, a literally meta-physic
(beyond nature) concept. :-)
In the case of DFT calculations you should first choose a charge
partitioning scheme, which is a (somewhat arbitrary) method to assign
charge density to atoms. There are many possible approaches: Lowdin,
Mulliken, Bader, ... But you will rarely obtain a net charge like 2.0 or 4.0 of
a Mn(II) or Mn(IV) site in the case of solid state compounds, for a series of
good reasons that I cannot explain here. Nevertheless you can calculate
*trends* in charge populations that (if you are not out of luck) lead you to
assign "oxidation states" to atoms. You may want to read the following
papers which can enlighten you on this interesting problem:

Raebiger, H.; Lany, S.; Zunger, A. Nature 2008, 453, 763.
Bo Wang, Shaohong L. Li, and Donald G. Truhlar J. Chem. Theory Comput
2014, 10, 5640

An interesting example regarding Mn oxides is contained in the SI of my
recent paper

J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 10254

HTH
Giuseppe

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 10:18:35 PM Raj kamal wrote:
> dear QE experts
>         i am working on Lithium ion batteries. In this  i need to calculate
> oxidation state of particular atoms Mn in such as LiMn2O4 materials.
please
> guide me how to calculate oxidation state for particular material in QE
and
> tags which i need to use.thanks in advance.

- Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
libres et ègaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
ne peuvent être fondèes que sur l'utilitè commune
- Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
est la conservation des droits naturels et
imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la libertè,
la propriètè, la sùretè et la rèsistance à l'oppression.

   Giuseppe Mattioli
   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
   I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM), Italy
   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316
   http://www.ism.cnr.it/english/staff/mattiolig
   ResearcherID: F-6308-2012