[Pw_forum] Silicon HSE Problem

Khara, Galvin galvin.khara.12 at ucl.ac.uk
Thu May 14 13:05:06 CEST 2015

Hey,

By using a value of 0.096, (Heyd recommends using a value smaller than 0.15 to reproduce accurate band gaps in semi-conductors), my cutoff energies oscillate as follows; (scf energy, ecut energy).

-14.56060124
-14.56579225  -- 20 Ry
-14.56576890
-14.56671699  -- 30 Ry
-14.56731443
-14.56796231 -- 40 Ry
-14.56725086
-14.56720876 -- 50 Ry
-14.56751976
-14.56750677 -- 60 Ry
-14.56749110
-14.56713377 -- 70 Ry
-14.56711227
-14.56709019 -- 80 Ry
-14.56706889
-14.56704906 -- 90 Ry
-14.56722966
-14.56721482 -- 100 Ry
-14.56700415
-14.56699186 -- 110 Ry
-14.56697995
-14.56696887 -- 120 Ry
-14.56695845
-14.56694874 -- 130 Ry
-14.56693973
-14.56693137 -- 140 Ry
-14.56692360
-14.56691649 -- 150 Ry
-14.56690962
-14.56690322 -- 160 Ry
-14.56698048
-14.56697473 -- 170 Ry
-14.56696928
-14.56696413 -- 180 Ry
-14.56693442
-14.56692978 -- 190 Ry
-14.56692543

So the oscillation isn't massive, but I am only using a 2-atom cell. I am basically interested in calculating the energy of my system at elevated electronic temperatures (using femi-dirac smearing), I'm going to go ahead and calculate my band-gap and lattice parameters using this oscillating ecut, and see how close they are to literature. Do you think this is ill advised?

Thanks,

Galvin