[Pw_forum] how to calculate U parameter

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Fri Jan 9 10:59:50 CET 2015

Dear Virginie
Short answer: It isn't.
Realistic answer: Use an EXX functional if you can afford it.
Hopeful answer: It will be possible when the DFT+U+V code is released.
Very hopeful answer: It would be possible whether the ACBN0 U-based
hybrid functional was released.

Dear Swati
There is no way to calculate a linear response U for the fully occupied Zn
3d shell. Perform a series of calculations to find semiempirical values of
U(Zn) and U(Se) which are suitable for your purposes. For example, try to
find U values which reproduce the fundamental band gap of ZnSe
*together with* acceptable estimates of its ionization energy and electron
affinity. Remember to modify the source code, as pointed out by Matteo, in
order to include Se within the "U-able" atoms.

HTH
Giuseppe

On Friday, January 09, 2015 10:17:50 AM TRINITE Virginie wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I have a related question, coming from elements with semicore states :
> Is it possible to have more that one orbital by atoms corrected by the U?
> I was thinking that maybe for 3d and 4d elements, it will be meaningful
to correct not only the d part but also the semicore states that are very

bounces at pwscf.org] De la part de Matteo Cococcioni
> Envoyé : vendredi 9 janvier 2015 00:06
> À : PWSCF Forum
> Objet : Re: [Pw_forum] how to calculate U parameter
>

> Dear Swati,
>
> one possibility is to compute U from linear response as we proposed
some year ago in PRB 71 35105 (2005). You can also find a tutorial on this
on
 http://media.quantum-espresso.org/santa_barbara_2009_07/.
> As for Se do you really need to use U on it? if so, you have to update the
routines set_hubbard_l.f90 and tabd.f90 in order to tell the code what
> orbital shoudl be corrected by U and how many electrons it should put
on them at the beginning of calculation. These routines are contained
inside
> the flib and PW/src/ directories of the code which you then need to
recompile.
 Best regards,

<swati.khatta at gmail.com<mailto:swati.khatta at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I would like to do calculations with  DFT+U of ZnSe material using
Quantum esspresso. As per I know there is different U for each distinct
type of
> hubbard atom.And typical value of U is rarely larger than 7-8 eV and in
most case it lies between 0<U<5. but how do we know that which value of
> satisfied for Zn  atom .Is there we do any type of convergence  to
calculate U parameter.
 And in case we include U parameter for Se the error has
> ocurred ' pseduopotential is not inserted yet'. So is it sufficient to not
include U parameter for Se to do DFT+U calculations for ZnSe. Regards
> swati khatta
> panjab University
> chandigarh

- Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
libres et ègaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
ne peuvent être fondèes que sur l'utilitè commune
- Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
est la conservation des droits naturels et
imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la libertè,
la propriètè, la sùretè et la rèsistance à l'oppression.

   Giuseppe Mattioli
   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
   I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM)
   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316
   http://www.ism.cnr.it/english/staff/mattiolig
   ResearcherID: F-6308-2012