[Pw_forum] too many states in PDOS

Guido Fratesi fratesi at mater.unimib.it
Thu Feb 26 12:13:33 CET 2015

Dear Winfred,

there is nothing wrong in what you are plotting. Indeed, with many atoms
and many electrons the density of states increases and, in other words,
"states do pack together".

Eventually, in general you want to smoothen out your result so to
recover something which is closer to the physically relevant limit of
(supposing you are modeling a bulk system) infinitely large system, for
which the contribution of individual states would generally be hidden in
the system's continuum (think to exceptions like states in gaps). Or you
want to take the DOS with a finite resolution. In both cases one smears
out the results by attributing to each state a given width (degauss).

Also check that the number of energy points in your plot is consistent
with the width: i.e., you should have a spacing between the points which
is smaller than the width of the peaks.

HTH
Guido

--