[Pw_forum] Error during linking pw.x with fftw3 (conflict with native fftw?)

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 21:13:02 CET 2015

Thank you for reporting this. I think it was fixed a few days ago in rev.
11881:
http://www.qe-forge.org/gf/project/q-e/scmsvn/?action=browse&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fespresso%2FFFTXlib%2Ffftw.h&sortby=rev&view=log

Paolo

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 7:17 PM, Reinaldo Pis Diez <
reinaldo.pisdiez at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I'm a new QE user. I've searched the forum archives for similar
> problems but I was unable to find something useful to me.
>
> I'm compiling QE 5.2.1 in a linux cluster running CentOS 6.6 (gcc
> and gfortran 4.4.7). I've already installed openmpi 1.6.5 and ATLAS
> 3.8.2 with full Lapack 3.6.0. To improve performance, I've also
> installed fftw 3.3.4.
>
> After a successful configure command with explicit BLAS_LIBS,
> LAPACK_LIBS and FFT_LIBS, compilation seems to be ok, too, but at
> linking time to create pw.x I got the message
>
> usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a(apiplan.o): In function `fftw_destroy_plan':
> apiplan.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `fftw_destroy_plan'
> ../../clib/clib.a(fft_stick.o):fft_stick.c:(.text+0x2ab20): first
> defined here
>
> and ld stop with error. The same error is obtained both using ATLAS
> or the native BLAS/LAPACK provided with the package (without passing
> BLAS_LIBS and LAPACK_LIBS to configure), thus it seems that it is
> not related to the functions doing linear algebra.
>
> It seems to me that the native fftw library provided with QE is in
> conflict with the fftw3 library as ld is using both
> /usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a and ../../clib/clib.a as can be seen above.
>
> I must say that if I compile without fftw3, all is ok, even the
> linking process.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance,
>
> Reinaldo

Paolo Giannozzi, Dept. Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222