[Pw_forum] XSpectra and US or PAW pseudos?

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Mon Aug 31 15:33:03 CEST 2015

On Monday, August 31, 2015 02:36:34 PM Adrian Hühn wrote:
> Besides Matteo said XSpectra is not compatible with PAW so. And he was
> involved in the implementation of the Lanczos algorithm with USPPs (PRB
> 80, 075102 (2009)). I will try to do some small test calculations, for
> comparison.

Let's see if Matteo answers.. (we work in the same place, but I'm not with him
at the moment)

> -------------------
> Its reference state is the atomic ground state. GIPAW projectors are the
> same as PAW (?).To create the core-hole PP one should change the config
> tag to

Yes, GIPAW and PAW will use the same projectors, this may not be optimal as
the level of precision required for a PAW calculation may be not as fine as
that required for GIPAW. I think it will work for most cases.

> ---
>     config='1s1 2s2 2p6 3s2.0 3p0 3d-2',
> ---
>
> and I am done.

Well, I would print the wavefunctions to file, keywords:
   file_wfcusgen   ='ultrasoft_wfcs_file'*
   file_wfcaegen   ='all-electron_wfcs_file'
   file_wfcngen   ='nor-conserving_wfcs_file'**
(* Ultrasoft or PAW pseudo-wavefunctions)
(** only used for norm-conserving and ultrasoft, when PSQ=.false.)

To check that the new pseudo-wavefunctions look similar to the old one, and
reduce the pseudization radii a bit if necessary.

> What about USPP? The associated Mg USPP looks like the same:

The same as PAW.

> Creating the core-hole should trivially apply here as well. But how do I
> consistently add GIPAW information? Do I take simply the same radii? How
> does the syntax look like?

I do not know very well, I guess you may have to test for the completeness of
the basis.

> For the normconserving case it is nicely described in the tutorial so no
> questions here :-).

I guess for ultrasoft is just the same, but I have not read the tutotial.

> A further question: In the tutorials it was suggested to ionize the
> reference state a bit. Is this crucial?

I don't think so. If you where taking away some charge to make the neutral
atom more stable, this is probably no more necessary when you put a 1s hole.
Although, save the wavefunctions to file, plot them check for weird features
(like big bumps or extra nodes in the pseudo wavefunction close to the origin)