[Pw_forum] XSpectra and US or PAW pseudos?

Adrian Hühn adrian.huehn at thch.uni-bonn.de
Mon Aug 31 14:36:34 CEST 2015

Hello Lorenzo,

this is an extremely useful feature indeed. I am also a bit confused
that PAW is not compatible, because within the PAW formalism we should
get back to a AE wavefunction. I read the basic papers of both the PAW
and the US formalism and see, that they are quiet similar (i.e. both
sorts of PPs in the PSlibrary share the same generation parameters). I
also read somewhere that both ansatzes are in principle the same while
the algorithms differ.
Besides Matteo said XSpectra is not compatible with PAW so. And he was
involved in the implementation of the Lanczos algorithm with USPPs (PRB
80, 075102 (2009)). I will try to do some small test calculations, for
comparison.

Concerning the reference state: for instance this is the input for a Mg
speudopotential (PP) from the PSlibrary (Mg.pbe-n-kjpaw_psl.0.3.0.upf,
the one I used for my tests)

-----------------------------

  &input
    title='Mg c',
    zed=12.0,
    rel=1,
    config='[Ne] 3s2.0 3p0 3d-2',
    iswitch=3,
    dft='PBE'
  /
  &inputp
    lpaw=.true.,
    pseudotype=3,
    file_pseudopw='Mg.pbe-n-kjpaw_psl.0.3.0.UPF',
    author='ADC',
    lloc=2,
    which_augfun='PSQ',
    rmatch_augfun=1.9,
    nlcc=.true.,
    new_core_ps=.true.,
    rcore=2.1,
    tm=.true.
    lgipaw_reconstruction=.true.
    use_paw_as_gipaw=.true.
  /
5
3S  1  0  2.00  0.00  2.30  2.50  0.0
3S  2  0  0.00  6.50  1.40  2.50  0.0
3P  2  1  0.00  0.00  2.40  2.60  0.0
3P  3  1  0.00  6.30  1.40  2.60  0.0
3D  3  2 -2.00  0.30  2.30  2.30  0.0

-----------------------------
Its reference state is the atomic ground state. GIPAW projectors are the
same as PAW (?).To create the core-hole PP one should change the config
tag to

---
    config='1s1 2s2 2p6 3s2.0 3p0 3d-2',
---

and I am done.

What about USPP? The associated Mg USPP looks like the same:
-----------------------------
  &input
    title='Mg c',
    zed=12.0,
    rel=1,
    config='[Ne] 3s2.0 3p0 3d-2',
    iswitch=3,
    dft='PBE'
  /
  &inputp
    pseudotype=3,
    file_pseudopw='Mg.pbe-n-rrkjus_psl.0.3.0.UPF',
    author='ADC',
    lloc=2,
    which_augfun='PSQ',
    rmatch_augfun=1.9,
    nlcc=.true.,
    new_core_ps=.true.,
    rcore=2.1,
    tm=.true.
  /
5
3S  1  0  2.00  0.00  2.30  2.50  0.0
3S  2  0  0.00  6.50  1.40  2.50  0.0
3P  2  1  0.00  0.00  2.40  2.60  0.0
3P  3  1  0.00  6.30  1.40  2.60  0.0
3D  3  2 -2.00  0.30  2.30  2.30  0.0
Creating the core-hole should trivially apply here as well. But how do I
consistently add GIPAW information? Do I take simply the same radii? How
does the syntax look like?

For the normconserving case it is nicely described in the tutorial so no
questions here :-).

A further question: In the tutorials it was suggested to ionize the
reference state a bit. Is this crucial?

Regards
Adrian