[Pw_forum] Hubbard force discrepancies

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Thu Oct 23 11:09:23 CEST 2014

Dear Dmitry,

what you describe is probably true for all the components of the forces,
not just the Hubbard one. The reason is that the Hellmann-Feynman theorem,
used to compute the forces printed in the output, only applies to the total
energy, not to its separate components. In fact, the electronic wave
functions used in the calculation of the matrix elements are eigenstates of
the whole Hamiltonian, not of its pieces.
Of course, the code still compute the forces "piece by piece". So each of
those term is "wrong" (in the sense it does not equal the derivative of the
corresponding term of the energy) but when you sum them up together, these
errors cancel each other and you get the right force.

Regards,

Matteo