[Pw_forum] SATA vs SAS

Eduardo Menendez eariel99 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 19:22:59 CEST 2014

Hi,
Thanks for the replies to my question. Some answers were devoted to solid
state devices (SSD), but I had asked about SAS (Serial attached SCSI) in
comparison to SATA disks. I know that SAS are better for high I/O load. The
point is how critical ist that for QE.

I have to choice between (better CPU with SATA) vs (worse CPU with SAS).

I have the feeling (from the times of IDE hard disks), that under heavy I/O
load (using swap memory), the use of CPU drops to 1% and calculations are
impractical. I guess it is still true, i.e., heavy I/O are to be avoided in
ab initio calculations.

Eduardo Menendez Proupin
Departamento de Fisica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile

  “Science may be described as the art of systematic oversimplification.”
Karl Popper