[Pw_forum] Au (111) Surface Energy

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Fri Nov 15 22:18:46 CET 2013

Dear Jack Davis,

   It is well known in the community that this is not a very accurate
approach to calculate the surface energy, even if in principle correct
(or, even the definition): You should at least make sure that the bulk is
calculated along the (111) direction with the same k point sampling. Only
if you are very well converged with the k point sampling in both the slab
and bulk you might get a converged value. A classic article discussing
this problem is

Vincenzo Fiorentini and M Methfessel 1996 J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 8 6525
doi:10.1088/0953-8984/8/36/005
"Extracting convergent surface energies from slab calculations"

   I can also try to find some more recent references if you wish.

     Greetings from Zurich,

        apsi

   Ari P Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
   Physikalisch-Chemisches Institut der Universitaet Zuerich
   Tel: +41 44 63 54 497  /  Mobile: +41 79 71 90 935