[Pw_forum] Au (111) Surface Energy

Jack Davis JXD231 at bham.ac.uk
Fri Nov 15 16:12:34 CET 2013

Hi Giovanni,

Thank you for spotting this error. We’ll change the input, use cdlldm(1) and try again.

Jack

School of Chemistry
University of Birmingham

On 15 Nov 2013, at 14:46, Giovanni Cantele <giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it<mailto:giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it>> wrote:

On Nov 15, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Jack Davis <JXD231 at bham.ac.uk<mailto:JXD231 at bham.ac.uk>> wrote:

Dear Forum,

I’m trying to calculate surface energies using PWscf, however, I am unsure of the methodology. To begin with we calculate the bulk energy of the FCC unit cell, using the attached input. We then calculate the energy of a 111 slab, 10 layers thick with a 6 atom vacuum gap. The surface energy is then calculated as,

Surface energy = Energy of slab - (bulk energy * 10) / 2.

I think I am probably misunderstanding the energies PWscf is giving me. We’re getting some strange answers!

Thank you,
Jack Davis

School of Chemistry
University of Birmingham

<Au_FCC.in>_______________________________________________
Pw_forum mailing list
Pw_forum at pwscf.org<mailto:Pw_forum at pwscf.org>

1) a=7.710 : are you sure that the Au ccc lattice constant is about 7-8 Angstrom?
Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I remember it should be about 4 A. Maybe you meant
to give the lattice length in atomic units, but at this purpose use celldm(1) instead
(see PW/Doc/INPUT_PW.txt for more explanations)

2)  Energy of slab - (bulk energy * 10) / 2 : it should be  [Energy of slab - (bulk energy * 10)] / 2

3) the slab energy from the previous equation comes from the difference between two energies.
As such, if the two energies are not converged at the same level, you can have a systematic error which
can even significantly affect your results. In particular, you should check that both the slab and the bulk calculation
are EITHER fully converged with respect the k-point grid (within an error that should be much less that the surface
energy you expect) OR converged at the same level, meaning that you use two different k-point grids scaled in such
a way that the two calculations are affected by the same "error" (see for example PHYSICAL REVIEW B 80, 235407 􏰀2009􏰁
and references therein for different recipes to calculate the surface energy).

Giovanni

--

Giovanni Cantele, PhD
CNR-SPIN