[Pw_forum] Installation problem

Surender surender_kumar at iitb.ac.in
Tue May 21 20:07:56 CEST 2013

> Dear all,
>
> My administrator just installed gfortran44 (version 4.4), which is
> somewhat newer than 4.1.2.

As Axel pointed out it is still outdated and in worse case may not work.

>From QE user guide
"Using gfortran v.4.4 (after May 27, 2009) and 4.5 (after May 5, 2009) can
produce wrong results, unless the environment variable
GFORTRAN_UNBUFFERED_ALL=1 is set. Newer 4.4/4.5 versions (later than April
2010) should be OK"

So it will be better if can ask your sysadmin to install latest gcc
compilers.

> However, I don't he removed the 4.1.2 compiler. When I
> ran ./configure, it seemed that QE still recognized the 4.1.2 one instead
> of the 4.4 one. So in the case of two or more fortran compilers, what
> should one do to make QE realize that the newest version should be used?

To override path
suppose your installation directory is /opt/gcc.4.7.0/
Now you can add the following two lines to your .bashrc file

*** CORRECTED ***
export PATH='/opt/gcc-4.7.0/bin':$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/opt/gcc-4.7.0/lib':$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

to check (if path is correct)
which gfortran
which gcc

should point to above path.