[Pw_forum] Installation problem

Surender surender_kumar at iitb.ac.in
Tue May 21 20:05:23 CEST 2013

> Dear all,
>
> My administrator just installed gfortran44 (version 4.4), which is
> somewhat newer than 4.1.2.

As Axel pointed out it is still outdated and in worse case may not work
from QE user guide
"Using gfortran v.4.4 (after May 27, 2009) and 4.5 (after May 5, 2009) can
produce wrong results, unless the environment variable
GFORTRAN_UNBUFFERED_ALL=1 is set. Newer 4.4/4.5 versions (later than April
2010) should be OK"

So it will be better if can ask your sysadmin to install latest gcc
compilers.

> However, I don't he removed the 4.1.2 compiler. When I
> ran ./configure, it seemed that QE still recognized the 4.1.2 one instead
> of the 4.4 one. So in the case of two or more fortran compilers, what
> should one do to make QE realize that the newest version should be used?

To override path
suppose your installation directory is /opt/gcc.4.7.0/
Now you can add the following two lines to your .bashrc file

export PATH='/opt/gcc-4.7.0':$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/opt/gcc-4.7.0':$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

to check (if path is correct)
which gfortran
which gcc

should point to above path.