[Pw_forum] Details of partial density of states calculation

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue May 14 09:47:24 CEST 2013

Dear Natalie, Dear Lorenzo

   the code projwfc calculate the projection of the crystal
wavefunctions on the reference atomic wavefunctions of each atom in
the cell (after these have bee orthogonalized). as such it strongly
depends on which atomic wavefunctions are included in the reference
computation in the atom.

   especially in the case these are extended orbitals (like the s-wave
valence states of transition metals) the projections may not be very
useful as a way to decompose the dos in atomic contributions.

   I think what you suggest, if i understand it correctly, can be a
useful alternative:
   computing the amount of charge inside the sphere that can be
assigned to the different angular momentum channels using the PAW
reconstruction. the piece of information needed, in addition to the
becp=<beta_a|psi> are the integrals of the corresponding atomic pseudo
wavefunctions <phi_a|phi_a>_R or <phi_tilte_a|phi_tilde_a>_R+Q_aa
where phi_a and phi_tilde_a are the AE and PS atomic wavefunctions
respectively and Q_aa is the integral of the augmentation charge and
the integrals are limited to the core region inside a radius R.
    something like that...

stefano