[Pw_forum] easy question

Varadharajan Srinivasan varadharajan.srinivasan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 07:39:06 CEST 2013

Dear Tomson,

This is a genuine confusion. The dependence on the nuclear positions comes
in through the Born Oppenheimer approximation. While the basis set are not
dependent on the nuclear positions the coefficient of these are
parametrically dependent on them. This is because we solve the Kohn Sham
equations for a given set of nuclear positions (for a given external
potential). So changes in density due to change in nuclear positions will
be effected through the change in the corresponding coefficients of plane
waves. n(r;R) = \sum_G C_G (R) e^i(G.r)

You should actually view the derivative as  d n(r;R)/d R. Besides, we only
treat valence electrons through the plane-wave expansion and the core
density from every atom is added directly in real-space. Since this
definitely depends on the nuclear positions it gives one dependence of the
density on the nuclear positions.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Vardha.