[Pw_forum] Question about charged supercell

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Feb 25 14:19:37 CET 2013

dear   Mahmoud

As Prasenjit wrote you, most probably the system will not remove the
electron from one of the two fragments only but  will split it among the
two fragments.

This is wrong and is due to the self interaction error present in
approximate DFT functionals.

Actually this problem (partial charges on the fragments) may arise even
for neutral case and is a very important failure of approximate DFT

let's examine this latter case and let's take NaCl dimer as an example...

In nature, in vacuum, NaCl dissociates in neutral fragments

This is because the Na Ionization Potential  (I_Na, energy required to
extract one electron from Na
is higher than Cl Electron Affinity (A_Cl, energy gained by adding one
electron to Cl).

A property of Isolated systems (as the fragments are assumed to be) is
that the energy as a function of fractional occupation is piece-wise
linear w.r.t. the occupation of the last eigenvalue and the linear slope
in the total energy is the eigenvalue itself (equal to -I_Na and -A_Cl
for the two isolated fragments in our case). I_Na > A_Cl

As occupations are bound between 0 and 1 this fixes the GS to be given
by neutral fragments.

However due to self-interaction error the energy vs occupation function
is not linear for approximate functionals which in turn implies that the
partially occupied eigenvalue of the fragments depends on the occupation
and it may and does happen that HOMO_Na(x=1) > LUMO_Cl(1-x=0)  ... that
is there is an initial gain in energy coming from transferring a
fraction of electron from Na to Cl...
as the transfer progresses the HOMO_Na eigengalue goes down and LUMO_Cl
goes up until for a certain critical value of x (call it xc)
HOMO_Na(xc)=LUMO_Cl(1-xc) and the transfer stops ...
but this means that Na has (1-xc) positive charge and Cl has (1-xc)
negative charge with xc not integer.

Way to fix this requires the use of a better functional for which the
piece wise linearity is restored (with an accurate value for the slope
of course) or at least such that the HOMO_Na(x=1) > LUMO_Cl(1-x=0)
condition does not occurs and the average slope has an accurate vale for
-I_Na and -A_Cl....

Hybrids functional can serve that purpose.
DFT+U corrections can also address this issue if the U parameter and the
molecular orbital manifold of the fragments on which it is applied is
chosen properly.

HTH

stefano