[Pw_forum] Total DOS and PDOS

Guido Fratesi fratesi at mater.unimib.it
Fri Oct 12 16:22:24 CEST 2012

For fundamental reasons, PDOS <= DOS (see "spilling"), but generally you
don't miss more than few % (or even much less than that). If you look at
the *_pdos.tot file you will find both the total PDOS and the total DOS
to compare - they should agree rather closely.
Peaks in wavefunction-resolved PDOS may be smeared when you consider all
atoms/wavefunctions summed together.
Best,
Guido