[Pw_forum] The iotk error occurrd in ph.x

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 15:12:02 CET 2012

2012/2/8 GAO Zhe <flux_ray12 at 163.com>:
> Dear QE developer and users
> I am using an old cluster for calculation, where mpich2 1.2.1 was compiled
> by gortran 4.1.2 in Fedora 7 x86_64.
> The pw.x calculations were fine, but when I was executing ph.x, the iotk
> error occurred (no matter multi-nodes or single-core, this error occurred as
> soon as the input file read by ph.x) :
> # FROM IOTK LIBRARY, VERSION 1.2.0
> # UNRECOVERABLE ERROR (ierr=1)
> # ERROR IN: iotk_scan_end (iotk_scan.f90:241)
> # CVS Revision: 1.23
> # foundl
> # ERROR IN: iotk_close_read (iotk_files.f90:746)
> # CVS Revision: 1.20
> As I known, such a problem is due to the bug of compiler, i.e., gfortran
> 4.1.2. However, since I just have the normal user authority in this cluster,
> I cannot upgrade gfortran or install other fortran compiler. Even mpich2 was
> installed in /usr, so I cannot re-compile it.

yes, you can compile and install both the GCC compilers
(including gfortran) and the MPI library without superuser
privilege and override the system defaults. it just takes
some effort and requires reading of the corresponding
documentation. i have done both many times on very
different machines without having root access.

axel.