[Pw_forum] Upcoming PASI Workshop "Computational Materials Science for Energy Generation and Conversion"

Derek Stewart stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Wed Oct 12 19:33:05 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I am organizing a Pan American Advanced Studies Institute (PASI) on
Computational Materials Science for Energy Conversion and Generation in
Santiago, Chile from January 9-20, 2012.  This workshop focuses on
training young researchers (graduate students and post-docs) on
simulation techniques with energy research applications.  As part of the
workshop, we will provide lectures on density functional theory and
calculations using Quantum Espresso.

I have provided a full call below for those interested.  The
registration deadline is coming up soon  on Oct. 21, 2011 and there a
limited number of spots. *We will be providing travel support for
participants.*  Please note that due to the terms of the NSF grant, the
participants must be researchers working in North or South America.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.  I hope to see some
of you in Santiago this winter!

Best regards,

Derek

*Computational Materials Science for Energy Conversion and Generation*

*Pan-American Advanced Studies Institute*

*January 9-20, 2012*

*Santiago, Chile -- Pontifica Universidad Catolica de Chile*

*http://www.cnf.cornell.edu/cnf_pasi2012.html*

*Registration Deadline: Oct. 21, 2011*

*Travel funding available for participants*

*_Overview_*

This workshop will provide young researchers (graduate students and
post-docs) from across the Americas with lectures and hands-on tutorials
on computational material science for energy applications.Participants
will also give presentations on their own research and work together in
collaborative teams on challenge projects.This two week workshop
provides a unique opportunity to develop international connections and
collaborations.

*_Energy Topics include:_*

Thermoelectrics (electronic and thermal transport), Battery Design
Optimization , Structure Searches for New Materials, Piezoelectric
Energy Harvesting, Nanophotonics for Solar Energy Applications,
Catalysis Design

*_Code Tutorials in:_ *Density functional theory (Quantum Espresso,
Siesta, OpenMX), Molecular dynamics (LAMMPS), Photonics (MEEP, MPB),
Multiphysics (Elmer), and more

*_Registration Info:_ *The registration procedure is available on the
PASI website.All qualifying participants will receive travel and
expenses support to attend the workshop.*Applicants must be doing
research in a country in North or South America.*** There are limited
spots so please apply early.

Registration Deadline: October 21, 2011

*Questions?*:Please contact the workshop organizers Derek Stewart
(derek.stewart at cornell.edu <mailto:derek.stewart at cornell.edu>) or
Richard Hennig (rhennig at cornell.edu <mailto:rhennig at cornell.edu>)

*Funding:* This workshop is made possible through generous support from
the National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Energy, the Office
of Naval Research Global (ONRG), the International Center for Materials
Research (ICMR), and the National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network
(NNIN).

--
Derek Stewart, Ph. D.