[Pw_forum] images and pools

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Tue Oct 4 08:42:42 CEST 2011

On Oct 1, 2011, at 14:37 , Charlie Eppes wrote:

> I was wondering, in a system administrating point of view, how far
> is varying the number of images and pools can affect the speed,
> efficiency, and the results of execution?! I understand the basic
> concepts of them, but how dependent on the specific input and
> purpose are they?? can we look to them as pure system and network
> variables or are they highly dependent on the specific task??

I am not sure I understand your question, but as a rule, the
effectiveness of all kinds
of parallelization depends quite a bit on both the available hardware/
software and on
the specific calculation

> do they affect the answer??

the final result? of course they don't (apart from small unavoidable
numerical differences)

P.
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222