[Pw_forum] interpreting fermi level in smearing scenario

pari shok parishok at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 10:09:18 CET 2011

Dear All,
I made a SiC/SiO2 structure with QE.
The code kept giving me "charge is wrong, smearing is needed", no matter
what charges I used (even after correcting charges for several times.
This is why I used smearing with degauss=0.018.
Now that I get a fermi level, I was wondering how to interpret it for a
semiconductor system.
I guess that since the number of states in the gap is high,, the code
considers it as a "metal system"; however, as I wrote, I don't know how to
interpret the fermi level.
I really appreciate your help and support.
Thanks in advance.
Yours
P Shok
UMD