[Pw_forum] local DOS: how to set nrmin and nrmax

Guido Fratesi fratesi at mater.unimib.it
Mon Dec 12 09:47:59 CET 2011

Dear Jinxi,

the definition of irmin and irmax depends on your choice of the volume
where the local DOS has to be integrated. Reasonable numbers go from 1
(first point in the FFT grid) to N (last point in the FFT grid) where N
is output by pw.x (see "FFT grid:"). Points in real space going from
irmin to irmax are included. This is done for the three dimensions
independently. So suppose you want to take a volume which goes from the
origin of the unit cell to half of it in the three dimensions (12.5% of
total volume), and your FFT grid contains 64x64x50 points, then you
would set:
irmin(1)=1
irmax(1)=32
irmin(2)=1
irmax(2)=32
irmin(3)=1
irmax(3)=25

HTH
Guido

PS:
Unless for specialized applications, you might perhaps be interested in
the "projected" (on the atomic wavefunctions) rather than "local" DOS,
both are computed by projwfc.x.

Il 12/06/2011 10:17 AM, jinxi ha scritto:
> Dear all:
> I try to get local DOS using projwfc.x, but i can't understand the
> description in "INPUT_projwfc": how to set parameters irmin and irmax?
> I've read the input files in example16, but i still don't know how to
> locate the local DOS by irmin and irmax. Are there general methods to
> calculate the number and position of grid points?
> If there are some general references (books, articles, presentations)
> for the basic knowledge, please recommend to me.
> Many thanks!
> best wishes
> jinxi

Guido Fratesi

Dipartimento di Scienza dei Materiali
Universita` degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca