[Pw_forum] LO-TO splitting in dynmat.x

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 29 09:41:54 CEST 2011

Dear Wang,

Let me reiterate: LO-TO splitting takes place ONLY at the Gamma point.  Why?
It is the physics. Please read at least the review paper I mentioned in my
previous mail.
Or take a good textbook.

>For cubic crystals splitting is equal in all directions.
So, for non-cubic LO-TO splitting  also occurs and the splitting is different
for different directions. That is

why one can see a discontinuity near the Gamma point in phonon dispersion
relations.

>When q is zero, there is no longitude and transverse mode.
Really? How about optical modes? Did you pay attention to "O"?

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University,
Sweden

Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys,
Russia,

isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com