[Pw_forum] Generating ultra soft pseudopotential

Emine Kucukbenli kucukben at sissa.it
Sat Apr 16 12:00:04 CEST 2011

Quoting Tram Bui <trambui at u.boisestate.edu>:

> Dear Everyone,
>       From the lecture on July 25 2009
> http://media.quantum-espresso.org/santa_barbara_2009_07/index.php, there is
> an example file where the Si was used to demonstrate the step by step for
> generating the pseudopotential. And I have some follow up questions based on
> that file as follow :
>   - In the FOURTH directory, the Si configuration is defined as :' [ Ne] 3s2
> 3p2 3d-1' , what does it mean by having "-1" for 3d orbital in this case?

that it is an unbound state

>   - Also in the same directory, what are/is the reason(s) for matching the
> "pseudo logarithmic derivative" with the "all-electron logarithmic
> derivative" plot.
you know that the pseudowavefunctions match all electron ones beyond
core radii for the generation energy. log. der. is a way to check
whether this matching behavior is valid not just for the generation
energy but for a range..
if log. der. match, you can probably use that pseudo in other energy
ranges,systems as well (it is transferable).. also it is one of the
things to look at while hunting ghost states..spikes in pseudo log.
der. that dont conrrespond to all electron ones means you have a ghost
state..

emine kucukbenli , phd student, sissa, italy