[Pw_forum] Young's Modulus

mohsen modaresi modaresi.mohsen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 23:51:15 CEST 2010

Dear Eduardo Ariel Menendez Proupin,
At first i relaxed nano-tube and obtain the position of carbon atoms in the
ground state. Then i decrease the tube length. A in the relation is the area
of nano-tube (A=pi*R*R which R is the radius of tube). F is the atomic force
in the Z axis which can be calculated by using Q.E.
I think it is better to calculate total energy in some configuration and use
(F=dE/dz, where E is the total energy in different configuration).
Is there any problem in this procedure?

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:58 AM, Eduardo Ariel Menendez Proupin <
eariel99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I think we always know what WE do, but not all of what computers do :-(.
>
> Mohsen, did you relaxed the atoms after the compression? Why did you
> calculate force and not stress. Have you used a finite nanotube and computed
> the forces upon the atoms of the edge? Finally, how is defined A in   E=(F/A)/((L-L0)/L0)
> for the case of a single nonotube?
> Best regards
> Eduardo
>
> Eduardo Menendez
> Departamento de Fisica
> Facultad de Ciencias
> Universidad de Chile
> Phone: (56)(2)9787439
>
> Let's pray for the 33 trapped miners! Four months to rescue

Mohsen Modarresi,
PhD student of Solid State Physics, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran.
Phone +98-9133452131