[Pw_forum] Parallel installation MPIF90 issue

soumyajyoti haldar soumyajyoti.haldar at gmail.com
Wed May 26 21:39:35 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Riccardo Di Meo <dimeo at democritos.it>wrote:

> Vikas Varshney wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > I have a very simple question.
> >
> > I have 2 mpif90 installed on my machine
> > one in /usr/local/bin which does not have fortran support. It says
> > "Unfortunately, this installation of Open MPU was not compiled with
> > Fortran 90 support ..."
> > other one is in my local directory which was installed by me. It does
> > have fortran compiler (ifort).
> >
> > When, I try to run configure script to genarate makefile, it assumes
> > mpif90 to be the first one and results in unsuccessful configure. So,
> > my question is that how can I direct the configure script to look for
> > other mpif90 and the assciated libraries and header files. Where do I
> > need to make necessary changes? Or do I need to ask my admin to update
> > mpif90 in /usr/local/bin (where I dont have writable access)?
>
> Two solutions:
>
> There's a MPIF90 environment variable, which can be set to the mpif90
> compiler of your choice. Just point it to your mpif90 binary in your
> home before configuring QE. This is the standard/correct solution.
>
> A "one size fits all" solution, which you can use also for other similar
> cases ,would be to make your PATH environment variable give precedence
> to the location of the mpif90 compiler you want to use:
>
> export PATH=<location of your mpif90>:$PATH  [bash]

you need to set correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH also. Otherwise during compilation
and run time it may pickup the wrong library and give you error. set this as
follows
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<location of your installed openmpi
directory>/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH [bash]

and one personal experience ,by default  /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin are set
as path when u boot up the system.
and now if you  your current mpif90 directory to PATH, it may not pick up
the correct one. bcoz u have 2 mpif90, one is in /usr/bin , other is in some
directory in you home.  the search order for the mpif90 depends on which
folder path is loaded to your path variable first .  So if your PATH
variable contains the entry of /usr/bin first then it'll not pick up the
mpif90 from ur home.

I made some changes in my .bash_profile as follows

line 1 : unset PATH
line 2 : export PATH="${PATH}:<location of your mpif90>"
line 3: export PATH="${PATH}:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin" and finally load
"/etc/profile" again
line 4: source /etc/profile

use it with extreme caution ...

> Hope this helps,