[Pw_forum] Parallel installation MPIF90 issue

Riccardo Di Meo dimeo at democritos.it
Wed May 26 21:11:22 CEST 2010

Vikas Varshney wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have a very simple question.
>
> I have 2 mpif90 installed on my machine
> one in /usr/local/bin which does not have fortran support. It says
> "Unfortunately, this installation of Open MPU was not compiled with
> Fortran 90 support ..."
> other one is in my local directory which was installed by me. It does
> have fortran compiler (ifort).
>
> When, I try to run configure script to genarate makefile, it assumes
> mpif90 to be the first one and results in unsuccessful configure. So,
> my question is that how can I direct the configure script to look for
> other mpif90 and the assciated libraries and header files. Where do I
> need to make necessary changes? Or do I need to ask my admin to update
> mpif90 in /usr/local/bin (where I dont have writable access)?

Two solutions:

There's a MPIF90 environment variable, which can be set to the mpif90
compiler of your choice. Just point it to your mpif90 binary in your
home before configuring QE. This is the standard/correct solution.

A "one size fits all" solution, which you can use also for other similar
cases ,would be to make your PATH environment variable give precedence
to the location of the mpif90 compiler you want to use:

export PATH=<location of your mpif90>:$PATH  [bash]

Hope this helps,
RDM