[Pw_forum] Body Centered Tetragonal

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Wed Jan 27 08:51:04 CET 2010

Dear Trinh

vtmtrinh at caltech.edu wrote:
> Hi Eyvarz,
>

> Thanks for your message.
> Yes, I did this way before.  However, when I checked the output, the
> crystal axes (cart. coord. in units of a_0) are still the same ones as
> defined in the input_PW, i.e:
>
> V1 = a/2(1,-1,c/a), V2=a/2(1,1,c/a), V3=a/2(-1,-1,c/a)

Yes, the crystal axis are fixed once you've chosen the lattice (i.e. ibrav), the
bohr,alat,crystal,angstrom options only specify how to input the atomic coordinates, that
are subsequently converted to the internal format.

Isn't it easy to build a transformation matrix from your choice for the crystal axis to
the convention followed in pwscf, rather than modify the code?

> If use these vectors to duplicate the structure e.g in z-direction (make
> supercell to see how it looks like), the duplicated structure lie in wrong
> direction (as I doubted).  This makes sense since the original structure
> has the crystal axes as:
>
> p1=(a,0,0), p2=(0,a,0), and p3=(a/2, a/2, c/2).

In order to duplicate the structure in the z-direction (Cartesian), in my view the easiest
choice is to use a simple tetragonal cell (ibrav=6), which has the 3rd axis oriented along z.

> I think another way to have the consistency is to project the original
> structure to the crystal axes used in QE .  Then use the resulting
> structure for the input_PW.

Yes this is the way I was suggesting earlier, if I understand well... seems the more
convenient to me. You simply need to find the transformation matrix from one frame of
reference to the other.

>(I thought by simply changing the primitive
> vectors in the code would be faster if I knew where it is  :-)).

Maybe faster, but not safer unless you know all possible side effects.

Good luck,

GS