[Pw_forum] LDA or LSDA?

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Feb 9 08:46:31 CET 2010

dear Maxim Ivanov,

    the LDA+U calculation is an LDSA+U calculation with the added
constraint of having equal up- and down-spin levels.
  As such, I would say that the LSDA+U, providing additional variational
freedom, should result in lower energy and be a better approximation to
the real system. However L(S)DA+U may be tricky and your calculation
might remain trapped in
local minima more easily than in ordinary LDA calculation. a few checks
may be useful.
  is the energy of your LSDA+U calc lower than the one of the LDA+U one,
as it should ?
  are you using the same U parameter in the two cases ? have you tried
different guesses for the starting occupations.
  on which levels are you applyaing U ? the "defect w U and spin
polarized" DOS is remarkably similar to the "perfect" case...
  are you sure you are really applying a +U correction in that case ?
  what would be the result of a plain LSDA (no +U) calculation  ? this,
rather than LDA, should be your reference defective calculation.
 best,
   stefano