[Pw_forum] Lowdin Charge- sign

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Dec 11 10:29:12 CET 2010

In a pseudopotential calculation core electrons are not there so if you
want to "see" the core electrons you need to do an all-electron
calculation or a PAW calculation where the total  charge is reconstructed.
If you are interested in knowing a total atomic charge this is easy...
just add to the valence electron charge the number of (completely
filled) core electrons, change sign and add the nuclear charge..
notice however that the decomposition of a charge distribution in
atomic contribution is a somewhat ill defined procedure and Lowdin
procedure is just one possibility, so do not attach too much
significance to minor changes from system to system...

Something that can be useful to identify bonding in your system can be
the analysis of the projected density of states on atomic levels of
nearest-neighbor atoms. It is sometime possible to see peaks occurring
in the same energy range for the two atoms that signal that electronic
states in that energy range are shared between the  two atoms as one
expect in a covalent bond.

Hope it helps.

Stefano de Gironcoli