[Pw_forum] Praseodymium Pseudopotential(s)

Stefano Fabris fabris at democritos.it
Tue Aug 31 15:09:54 CEST 2010

Hi Paul (and Trinh Vo),

unfortunately I do not have a specific experience with Pr or Yb, but
you are welcome to take as a starting point the parameters I used for
the Ce PP. In attachment you may find some input files for
pseudopotentials we have generated some years ago by using the
Vanderbilt code (http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~dhv/uspp/, version
734). I have tested the pseudo on the properties of CeO2-based
materials only. In my experience, semicore states were very important
while adding more projectors to the f channel made little difference.
This may however be very element-dependent. In any case, as noted by
Stefano de Gironcoli, the self-interaction error is a serious issue in
rare-earth materials and the DFT+U approach is one way to cope with it.

Finally, I could also find some material on Pr that was sent to me
many years ago by Paolo Giannozzi. I do not think that it was ever
used, so again, no guarantee, but maybe you can find it useful.

You can refer to me if you have questions that are too specific for
the forum, I will be happy to contribute as far as I can. Hope it helps.

Yours sincerely,
		Stefano