[Pw_forum] PP-US of Au

reza shidpoor shidpour at mehr.sharif.edu
Sat Aug 28 17:44:30 CEST 2010

Dear QE Developers and Users

I use PWSCF for simulation of Au13 cluster. I complied software completely
and I run all of examples without error.

My system seems suitable for this purpose.(RAM = 8 GIGABYTE , PROCESSOR =
QUADCORE 2.8 , OPERATION SYSTEM =
UBUNTU 9.10) but the software stops with segmentation fault error (code 174)
frequently.
I studied user-guide and writings in forum and I performed these actions :
1) all of libraries are compiled completely (ifort & mkl & ic).
2) I checked position of atoms with xcrysden and I did not found any
problem.
3) I used almost of US pseudopotentials for Au in site and all of them have
problem.
4) I tried to use diagonalization='cg' but this error remained.

Is it possible that all of PP-US related to Au are bad pseudopotential,
typically with a ghost, or a USPP giving non-positive charge
density, leading to a violation of positiveness of the S matrix appearing in
the USPP formalism ?  OR  Is PWSCF unable to simulate heavy atoms such as Au
or Pd because of lack of suitable USPP?

I really appreciate you for solving this problem.

My input file :

&control
    calculation='relax'
    title='Au13'
    restart_mode='from_scratch'
    outdir='./tmp'
    prefix='Au13'
    etot_conv_thr=1.0D-4
    pseudo_dir = './'
 /
 &system
    ibrav= 2, celldm(1) =  38,nat=  13, ntyp= 1,
    ecutwfc =52.0, ecutrho=520.0,
    occupations='smearing',smearing='mv',degauss=0.01,
    nspin=1,
 /
 &electrons
   electron_maxstep=100,