[Pw_forum] phase transformation temperature

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Aug 11 17:09:43 CEST 2010

in order to estimate a transition temperature you need to evaluate a
free energy. which is not an easy task ...
read a good book on statistical mechanics and atomistic simulations.
If it is a solid-solid phase transition (like the alpha tin-beta tin
trasition) well below melting temperature teh quasi-harmonic
approximation may be helpful [see for instance Pavone, Baroni,de
Gironcoli - PRB 57, 10421-10423 (1998)]
stefano