[Pw_forum] tefield and LSDA II

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Sep 28 09:06:15 CEST 2009

Dear Hanghui Chen,

hanghui chen wrote:
> Dear PWSCF developers,
>        I just want to follow my previous email. After reading the code
> more carefully, I found in the subroutine input.f90 that if tefield =
> .true. and nspin > 2, then we have the error message that "LSDA not
> available with electric field". However, nspin > 2 or more precisely
> speaking nspin = 4 means non-collinear spin-polarized calculation. nspin
> = 2 is the standard spin-polarized calculation with magnetization along
> z direction.

I think you're right, the error message should be rather:

"Noncollinear calculation not available with electric field",

but how could you get that message if you wanted to perform spin-polarized, collinear
calculations (which corresponds to lsda=.TRUE., internally in the code; why did you write
lsda=.FALSE. in your previous mail?) ???
It should show up only when you specify noncolin=.TRUE.

>        My question is when tefield = .true., can I do spin-polarized
> calculation with magnetization along z direction? The error message
> "LSDA not available with electric field" seems a little bit confusing to me.

If actually it was only a wrong string for the error message (as I think: please someone
of the developers which know that part of the code confirm) and the code doesn't stop and
complain when you specify tefield=.TRUE. together with nspin=2, I think you can safely use
that feature of QE.

Regards

GS