[Pw_forum] Six-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor V.S. Intel XEON 5500 series

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 23 15:35:02 CEST 2009

vega lew wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Dear all,
>
> We will launch a big program to set up a computer center for Q-E and
> CPMD. We wonder whether AMD Six-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor or Intel
> XEON 5500 series will give us a more efficient performance. Of course,
> the infiniband is included in the program. and we design 3G
> DDR3-1333MHz for each Core (not each CPU).
>
> any suggestion will be appreciated.
>
> thank you for reading
>
> vega

Dear Vega,

*great* news ! And congratulations...

We are also debating right now a Opteron vs Intel (small) purchase,
especially for
large memory jobs - so if anyone had any information on perfromance, or
scalability with Infiniband, that would be greatly appreciated.

nicola