[Pw_forum] which is the local potential

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sun Nov 1 11:56:41 CET 2009

one further reason why the bare+Hartree potential should be used for
estimating the value of the potential in the vacuum far from a surface
(or from a molecule), even if the simple LDA is used, is that the
exchange potential tends to zero as (\rho)^{1\over 3}, while the
Hartree+bare potential tends to zero as \rho, hence faster.
SB

On Nov 1, 2009, at 9:11 AM, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2009, at 10:23 , wujianchun wrote:
>
>> The question is which one, 1 total potential V_bare+V_H+V_xc,
>> 11 the V_bare+V_H potential or 12 the electric field potential in
>> plot_num, corresponds the above-mentioned "local potentials"?
>
> definitely not 12; the local potential is 1. The case "11" is useful
> to calculate the average potential far from a surface (e.g. for
> work function calculation) since the XC potential has often a
> nasty behavior when the charge density vanishes
>
>> PS: which is the unit of the potentials in the outfiles, eV or Ry?
>
> Ry
>
> P.
> ---
> Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Physics, University of Udine
> via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine, Italy
> Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget