[Pw_forum] dos

Prasenjit Ghosh prasenjit.jnc at gmail.com
Mon May 4 09:04:18 CEST 2009

Hi Jonas,

For DOS calculations one needs to do an integration over the kpts in the
Brillouin zone. So you need a very fine k-point mesh than necessary for a
scf calculation. Moreover you need a large number of bands. Doing an scf
calculation with such a fine k-point mesh and so many bands is very
expensive. So you should first do an scf calculation with the min. no. of
k-points and bands and then do a nscf calculation with a finer k-point and
larger no. of bands. In the nscf step, the code does an interpolation for
the extra bands and k-points and not a self-consistent calculation. This
saves computational time.

Hope this helps.

Prasenjit.

2009/5/3 Jonas Baltrusaitis <jasius_1 at yahoo.com>

> Prasenjit,
>
> could you explain why both scf followed by nscf calculations are needed for
> DOS calculations, as per example 8? If only scf density is needed for
> further projection, why not to calculate only one?
>
> Jonas

PRASENJIT GHOSH,
POST-DOC,
ROOM NO: 265, MAIN BUILDING,