[Pw_forum] about fermi level

Haruhiko Dekura dekura at cmp.sanken.osaka-u.ac.jp
Tue Dec 29 17:30:28 CET 2009

Dear Wang

I think that the Fermi-level obtained with nscf run reaches sufficient value only when the KS energy spectrum ( hence, also scf-potential ) is well converged in scf calculation.
Therefore, in my guess, if you can see the convergence of KS levels as well as total energy against the increase of k-point (and width of smearing), the Fermi-level obtained with DOS calculation is more reliable value. So, I think the problem is depending on the convergency of your scf-potential after scf calculation. If you don't have converged one,  both Fermi-levels ( obtained by scf or nscf run) so obtained are both not sufficient.
What do you think ?

Haruhiko Dekura

PH.D. student
Osaka university