[Pw_forum] matdyn.x warning message

Mikiyas Tsegaye mastermik at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 21:03:37 CEST 2009

Dear Friends,

I'm trying to plot the phonon dispersion of graphene. I have done the
dispersions for Silicon, and Germanium, and also for Diamond. All of
which worked out well. Graphene, however, is giving me the following
error in the second-to-last matdyn.x step:

message from routine matdyn

Z* not found in file graphene.fc, TO-LO splitting at q=0 will be absent
A direction for q was not specified: TO-LO splitting will be absent

The dispersion that it then produces looks very jagged and the numbers
are off. For examples, the acoustic modes don't go to zero at the
gamma point, and the acoustic and optical branches don't touch at the
K-point like they're supposed to. I would really appreciate any help
on this matter. My input file is as follows:

# SCF step

  &control
     calculation='scf',
     restart_mode='from_scratch',
     prefix='graph',
     tstress=.true.,
     tprnfor=.true.,
     pseudo_dir = '$PSEUDO_DIR/',
     outdir='$TMP_DIR/'
  /
  &system
     ibrav = 0, nat=2, ntyp= 1,
     ecutwfc = 40.0,
     ecutrho = 480.0,
     occupations = 'smearing',
     smearing = 'gaussian',
     degauss = 0.02,
  /
  &electrons
     diagonalization = 'cg',
     conv_thr =  1.0d-6
  /
CELL_PARAMETERS {hexagonal}
4.02  2.321  0.00
4.02 -2.321  0.00
0.00  0.00   69.75
ATOMIC_SPECIES
C 12.01 C.pz-vbc.UPF
ATOMIC_POSITIONS {bohr}
C  0.0  0.0  0.0
C  2.68 0.0  0.0
K_POINTS automatic
16 16 1 0 0 0

$PW_COMMAND < graphene.scf.in > graphene.scf.out

# calculate phonons

phonons of graphene
&INPUTPH
  amass(1) = 12.01,