[Pw_forum] Quick question on Hartwigsen-Goedeker-Hutter pseudopotential

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 01:10:53 CEST 2008

Dear Willy,

--- On Fri, 10/3/08, willy kohn <willykohn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was told that with a LDA PP, Ge has a vanishing
> or negative band gap at Gamma point. But with this PP, > it has a gap of 0.50eV (using experimental lattice) or
> 0.80 eV (after relaxation).

Please recall that we use the Density Functional Theory, that is the theory of the ground state, and it is not obliged to give correct excitation energies in semiconductors. Besides, we apply the Local Density Approximation which underestimates the band gap, even gives negative band gap in Ge. This is well known fact. The source of this fault is the use of single-particle Shrodinger equation, but the use of the quasiparticle equation with the self-energy operator is more correct. There are few recipes how to deal with this equation. The so called GW method is among them.

Another point is proper account of exchange-correlation interactions. It is well known that the use of the functionals like PBE0, B3LYP gives improved results for insulating systems concerning their electronic structure. For the reference please have a look at /examples-EXX (for Si).

So, if the HGH pseudopotentials are used in the framework of the DFT-LDA, unlikely they can give correct band gap due to the fault of the underlying method.
Even all-electron methods within the LDA fail to predict the band gap (as example see PHYSICAL REVIEW B 67, 155208 2003).

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University, Sweden
Condensed Matter Theory Group, Uppsala University, Sweden
Eyvaz.Isaev at fysik.uu.se, isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com