[Pw_forum] problem with TPSS (Tao-Perdew-Staroverov-Scuseria) meta-GGA for silicon

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Nov 28 15:39:28 CET 2008

Ari P Seitsonen wrote:

> Dear Rafael,
>
>   Adding to Axel's comment; you might experience the problem of
> "non-spherical" atom in Si since in the free atom you have two
> p-electrons to put on three degenerate (spin-up) states. Thus there will
> be a fight (= usually no convergence) which one of p_x, p_y and p_z will
> get them if tried straightforwardly. What one can try is to modify the
> cell slightly making it non-cubic,

This solution is nice, I'll try it someday. Anyway, the pw.x flag:

nosym=.true.

could do the job in this case (and it is often useful for computing atoms or molecules in
supercells).
You can even fix occupations in the more problematic cases, by setting:

occupations = 'from_input'

and specifying the desired occupations at the end of the namelists.

NB: works only with gamma point

Hope this helps,

regards

GS

La legge n. 133 uccide l'Università e la Ricerca italiana!

Save Italian Brains! (http://saveitalianbrains.wordpress.com/)

| Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |
| c/o:   SISSA & CNR-INFM Democritos,              |
|        via Beirut 2-4, 34014 Trieste (Italy)     |
| email: sclauzer at sissa.it                         |
| phone: +39 040 3787 511                          |
| skype: gurlonotturno                             |