[Pw_forum] problem with TPSS (Tao-Perdew-Staroverov-Scuseria) meta-GGA for silicon

Ari P Seitsonen ari.p.seitsonen at iki.fi
Fri Nov 28 11:56:11 CET 2008

Dear Rafael,

   Adding to Axel's comment; you might experience the problem of
"non-spherical" atom in Si since in the free atom you have two p-electrons
to put on three degenerate (spin-up) states. Thus there will be a fight
(= usually no convergence) which one of p_x, p_y and p_z will get them if
tried straightforwardly. What one can try is to modify the cell slightly
making it non-cubic, eg tetragonal and then seeing if the calculation
converges. Additionally you might try adding more mixing of the previous
charge density.

   Summa summarum, this problem might not be due to the implemenation of
TPSS but a "pathodological example".

     Greetings from Paris,

        apsi

PS This topic keeps on popping up on the mailing lists of different codes
   quite regularly. Apparently the people do not know that the topic was
   discussed already decades ago. ;)

"Energies of atoms with nonspherical charge densities calculated with
     nonlocal density-functional theory"
Frank W Kutzler and G S Painter
Phys Rev Lett 59, 1285 (1987)
DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.59.1285