[Pw_forum] Pentium-M versus Itanium

Miguel Martínez Canales miguel.martinez at ehu.es
Fri Mar 14 17:11:48 CET 2008

Thanks everybody for your comments. I'll dwelve further into it with
stricter tests and see what happens. I will also see what I can do with MKL 10.

By the way, Paolo, I couldn't download your benchmark. Wget told me 404 Not
Found.

Finally, would AMD open sourcing some of their libraries affect us?

Regards,

Miguel

Paolo Giannozzi escribió:
> On Mar 13, 2008, at 20:50 , Miguel Martínez Canales wrote:
>
>> PS: I also swear that the very same Itanium machine used to run
>> twice as
>> fast as the same laptop, although the free FORTRAN compilers have
>> changed
>> a lot in the last couple of years.
>
> and I swear that I hate benchmarking. Anyway, you can find a benchmark
> that will tell you something (as opposed to those you tried, that
> will tell you
> nothing, maybe even less than nothing) here:
>     http://www.fisica.uniud.it/~giannozz/benchmark.tgz
> Paolo
> ---
> Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Physics, University of Udine
> via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine, Italy
> Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222

Miguel Martínez Canales
    Dto. Física de la Materia Condensada
    UPV/EHU
    Facultad de Ciencia y Tecnología
    Apdo. 644
    48080 Bilbao (Spain)
Fax:  +34 94 601 3500
Tlf:  +34 94 601 5326

  "If you have an apple and I have an apple and
  we exchange these apples then you and I will
  still each have one apple. But if you have an
  idea and I have an idea and we exchange these
  ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."

  George Bernard Shaw